History and Mission
Genesee Cancer Assistance, Inc., a registered 501(c)3 not for profit, was co-founded in November of 1995 by Mrs. Dorothy Schlaggel & Mr Russ Romano. Dorothy’s desire was to create an organization that would help cancer patients and their families living in Genesee County, New York through their individual journeys by providing financial and other assistance. Since 1995, Genesee Cancer Assistance, Inc. has been fortunate to have assisted over 1800 individuals. We help over 100 patients each year.
- To empower patients with the knowledge of where and how to gain access to helpful information and services available in the area.
- To alleviate or lessen the impact of the difficulties experienced by cancer patients, their families and their caregivers.
- To provide patients with information regarding their diagnosis.
Mrs. Dorothy Schlaggel – Co-Founder
Mr. Russ Romano – Co-Founder
- Mrs. Teresa Portrzebowski – Office Manager
- Mrs. Sue Underwood – Director of Marketing and Outreach
Board of Directors
- Dr. Kevin Mudd – President
- Mr. Nick Grasso – Vice President
- Mr. David Renzo – Treasurer
- Mr. Steve Grice – Secretary
- Mr. James Bray
- Mr. Steven Johnson
- Mr. Fred Hamilton
- Ms. Jessica Pratt
- Ms. Lori Kurek
- Mrs. Nickie Fazio